Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Problematic Circumstances

I've found myself growing tired of the Thorpes over the past few days as they have seemingly dashed my chances of any kind of romance with Mr. Tilney and have become annoyances. The same day that Isabella and I went for a walk, we encountered our brothers and we were both quite happy. My brother, James Morland, was a friend of Isabella's brother, John, and he came to Bath to visit me, though Isabella seemed to be quite happy as well for an inexplicable reason. John, a very disagreeable man, attempted to impress me with his carriage and claims not to read gothic novels. At the time, he seemed like good company and was quite a convenient pre-arranged dance partner. Unfortunately, as soon as our next ball began, he went to the card room and spent his time ignoring me. It was not too long after that that Mr. Tilney and his sister greeted me. Like Isabella and I, Ms. Tilney and I had quite a bit in common. James urged me to dance with him afterwards and I was stolen away from the Tilneys. The next day, that disagreeable liar, John, suggests that I ride with him in his carriage. He claimed that his own carriage was superior to James' one moment and inferior the next. Upon our return, the Allens told us that they had met the Tilneys while we were out and that Henry Tilney's father, the General, was in Bath. John really has been ruining all of my plans. After a trip to the theater the same day, I spent more time with my brother and Isabella. They seem to be enjoying each other's company much more than the day out, how odd. I spent the rest of the night, before the ball of course, speaking to Eleanor Tilney about her brother Henry and she seemed to have realized something, but I'm not quite sure exactly what she had realized. At the ball on the same night, Mr. Tilney asked me to dance, and John began acting very annoyed when he found me, though that was a minor nuisance. The conversation that Mr. Tilney and I had was as amazing as the first ball and he even pointed out his father afterwards. What a nice gentleman! The next day, my chance to have a walk was ruined when James would not turn the carriage around and we stayed at the Thorpes' house.

No comments:

Post a Comment