Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Of loss of hope and happily ever after.

It was not long before the gloominess of Northanger Abbey had increased my suspiscion of the General's murder of his wife. After some investigation, the possibility of the murder was clearer to me than ever before. Henry reassured me that the possibility was of my own delusion, but I received little relief from that fact. I received news that Isabella and James had broken off their engagement and I admitted that it is not a negative feeling to lose a friend that had betrayed my brother. I lived at the Abbey for about a month before Eleanor informed me that they were leaving the Abbey and that the General was sending me home. I did nothing wrong, yet I was sent away. I was confused. The romance between Henry and I was not doing well. I felt depressed as my family welcomed me back and I found out that John Thorpe had told the General that my family was poor, ruining my chances for a marriage to Mr. Tilney. Henry understood that this was not the case, therefore, he took me back and defended me. He is definitely a very good man. Henry proposed to me we received permission from the General after Eleanor was married. We are going to be married soon and I am glad that this first trip to Bath went as well as it did.

Henry and I

No comments:

Post a Comment